The best way to prepare for the future is to take care of the present.
March Discussion Calls
Clan Of The Cave Bear
This movie is based on The Clan of the Cave Bear, an epic historical novel by Jean M. Auel about prehistoric times. It is the first book in the Earth's Children book series which speculates on the possibilities of interactions between Neanderthal and modern Cro-Magnon humans.
Link To The Movie
Clan Of The Cave Bear is based on the highly researched novel by Jean Auel. It gives us insights into the lives of early humans. Here are some discussion questions:
- How would you describe the message and effect of the wounds that Ayla received early in her life:
- loss of her mother
- the attack by the lion
- the attitude of the Clan of the Cave Bear?
- Does the clan have a narrative or story they live by and what is it about? How is that story used? What made a person a part of the clan?
- Do you think there are there any sensitive people in the clan? and who do you might have been sensitive?
- How was Ayla indoctrinated into the patriarchal clan and also protected from it?
- In what ways did Ayla cross gender lines voluntarily or not? What characteristics did she have from both sexes?
- Why was she cast out? How did Ayla's “transgressions” work to her advantage and the benefit of the clan?
- How about Broud was also a tragic figure. Did you see any nuances in him?
- Can you identify Ayla's beautiful decision and why it is beautiful?
- What are examples of healthy and unhealthy vulnerability in the movie?
- In what ways did the movie show us elements of the Plotkin Soulcentric Wheel of Development?
Surprisingly the violence is muted. There are several scenes where someone is struck, The hunting scene listed below does not actually show the killing and the rape scene is tame by modern standards. The bear initiation fight is the most offensive. You may want to avoid some or all of these scenes.
28:00-28:30 hunting scene
44:30-45:30 rape scene
1:15:40-1:17:55 bear initiation fight
Clan Of The Cave Bear Discussion
Link To The Movie
Watch Forrest Gump
- Is Forrest Gump just lucky?
- What early lessons about being different did he have that could benefit sensitive people?
- Did he expect to be accepted or was it more nuanced than that?
- He was named after an important member of the KKK, a white supremacist group. Why did the negative aspect of that not seem to stick to him or become part of his identity?
- How did Forrest Gump turn limitations into assets? When did he do that and learn to do that?
- Forrest Gump is told that he does not know what love is. Is that true, do you think?
- How is Forrest Gump about:
- letting go
- Do you think he has courage?
- Does Forrest Gump hold space and if so how and when?
- Where do you see beginner's mind in Forrest Gump?
- How would you describe his attitude?
- What soulcentric qualities does he exhibit?