Have you ever felt really sluggish after winter?
Have you ever noticed how when the seasons change you feel a need to restore and rejuvenate your body?
The balance in our bodies changes with seasons. Our agricultural system provides many foods year round regardless of the season, which is why we often act as if nutritionally there is only one season.
That thinking can get us in trouble because our bodies naturally want heavier, insulating food during the winter which creates congestion in our bodies and creates the need to restore our constitutional balance.
It is very important that we understand the detoxification process because otherwise we may think we are detoxing when in fact our approach skims the surface.
My favorite book about detoxification is Dr. John Douillard’s Colorado Cleanse. He has a very accessible way of writing which makes it easy to understand detoxing and a very specific but flexible system to do so.
You may already understand some of the reasons why you need to detox but there are others that you probably do not. This book was an eye opener.
Here are some of the insights I gained from reading his book:
- detoxing is now a necessity because of the severe pollution in all areas of our environment with chemicals, plastics, carcinogens of various types, heavy metals and carbon emissions.
- pollutants build up in the body causing impaired functioning and damage to our immune systems, weakening us over time. They can lead to chronic as well as severe diseases and premature aging.
- toxins can damage the pathways of the body. This means that oxygen and nourishment are blocked from reaching our cells and therefore, our cells can become undernourished. To be truly healthy, our entire system needs abundant oxygen and nourishment.
- during the winter months, we eat heavier foods because they are warming and insulating. Those foods can build us and interfere with our digestive systems. It is no different that accumulation in your house. At some point it becomes disabling.
- the liver can become overwhelmed and when it does it does not process the toxins. It send the toxins back into the system to be stored in fat cells.
- fat cells in the brain can store toxins just like fat elsewhere in the body.
- the digestive system can handle a variety of foods including those that are hard to digest. If digesting food is a problem then a detoxification and restoration process would be helpful.
- Research shows that 95% of the body’s serotonin production comes from the digestive system. This New York Times article discusses the second brain and serotonin.
- Toxins trapped in our cells can include mental and emotional toxins weighed down by a sluggish and overloaded body. Processing emotions is an important part of health and if affected by our health regimen.
- stress is processed in our digestive system. So if our digestive system is compromised we may develop stress related diseases and have reduced resilience to life’s challenges.
Taking care of your health involves regular detoxification and restoration of your body especially the digestive system. When you do your body and emotions should feel lighter and you will be a lot happier.
I highly recommend Dr. Douillard work as a great way to learn about your body’s needs for higher quality of life.
Disclosure: I have an affiliate relationship with Dr. Douillard’s Lifespa.